In the opening scene of This Is Spinal Tap co-founders David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel attempted to explain the origins of the band’s name as follows:
NIGEL: And then we looked at each other and says well we might as well join up you know and uh….
DAVID: So we became The Originals.
DAVID: And we had to change our name actually….
NIGEL: Well there was, there was another group in the East End called The Originals and we had to rename ourselves.
DAVID: The New Originals.
NIGEL: The New Originals and then, uh, they became….
DAVID: The Regulars, they changed their name back to The Regulars and we thought well, we could go back to The Originals but what’s the point?
There are some great WordPress themes on the market, of which, quite a few really good ones are free. However, at the end of the day I prefer custom themes for the following reasons:
- The best themes are also among the most popular, hence, if you pick one of those for your unique or brand you run the risk of looking like a “new original”.
- Off-the-shelf WordPress theme tend to have a lot of design elements and functionality baked into them. As a result, reverse engineering someone else’s to make even the smallest changes can be time-consuming, costly, and still achieve the desired goal.
- Your business, organization and/or you are unique so your WordPress theme should be too.
I truly believe the designers and UV/UI professionals are the best artists and my job as front-end developer is to turn their visions into a fully functioning website. That’s why I wireframing was the first skill I made sure to master.
When there’s no web designer and/or UX/UI professional involved with a project I turn to Google’s Material Design to guide me.
Having said the above, there are certain design standards that need to be followed on mobile-first websites and applications to ensure the user experience is optimal across all screens.
Material Design is a collection of rules, guidelines, components and best practices created by Google to help teams build high-quality digital experiences for Android, iOS, Flutter, and the web. Some the features of using Material Design are as follows:
- You benefit from Google’s expertise and ability to gather data from millions of websites what design best practices work.
- Material Design comes with a slew of icons you can link to giving your site an “APP” feel on mobile devices.
- A color palette generator and font family pairings combined with best practices for buttons, navigation, help you launch user friendly sites faster.